NarutoVerse 2.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a Neverwinter Nights server based on the Naruto Universe.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Stealth attacks. (dodging what you don't know is coming)

Go down 
+4
Gaara
Kamarile
kaindelvin
Hyuuga Neji
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Hyuuga Neji

Hyuuga Neji

Stealth attacks. (dodging what you don't know is coming) Empty
PostSubject: Stealth attacks. (dodging what you don't know is coming)   Stealth attacks. (dodging what you don't know is coming) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2013 10:14 pm

Alright this is a big problem I see with stealth attacks on the server.. even if they don't see or hear the attack coming they still have the exact same chance to dodge it. I appreciate the bonus damage but honestly it doesn't make any sense that it doesn't help ensure a hit.

So! I propose this:

If a hidden attacker passes both his hide and move silently checks they then make their attack roll normally -but- if they miss they still deal half normal damage. The defender able to notice them, but to late to fully dodge it suffering a grazing attack.
Back to top Go down
kaindelvin

PostSubject: Re: Stealth attacks. (dodging what you don't know is coming)   Stealth attacks. (dodging what you don't know is coming) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2013 10:19 pm

dont like it, namely because skills are so unbalanced in nwn. it's really easy to get an unbeatable hide/ms skill, while suffering regular stats, ensuring that under your proposed system they will be guaranteed to do dmg every single round, period with smoke bombs/custom jutsu. i like how it is, that if you hide you can have a huge boost in power(1d8 doubles the max bonus dmg to nin, and almost doubles the max bonus dmg to tai/ken) but you dont auto rape people because of how easy it is to get unbeatable skills.
Back to top Go down
Hyuuga Neji

Hyuuga Neji

PostSubject: Re: Stealth attacks. (dodging what you don't know is coming)   Stealth attacks. (dodging what you don't know is coming) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2013 10:29 pm

It's not that hard to up your sight/hearing if you invest properly and take the right items stuff, people should be rewarded for their build but it should also make sense. and a sneal attack that can be dodged by... what?.. accident?... doesn't make sense
Back to top Go down
Kamarile

Kamarile

PostSubject: Re: Stealth attacks. (dodging what you don't know is coming)   Stealth attacks. (dodging what you don't know is coming) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2013 10:45 pm

If I walk behind someone who is friendly and handsign at them they'll still want a defense roll I bet. So no, this idea doesn't ring true.
Back to top Go down
Hyuuga Neji

Hyuuga Neji

PostSubject: Re: Stealth attacks. (dodging what you don't know is coming)   Stealth attacks. (dodging what you don't know is coming) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2013 10:48 pm

"Ring true"?... I think it still rings true... just because you assume people would want a defense roll erroneously doesn't mean it doesn't make sense for attacks someone has no idea are coming to hit.
Back to top Go down
Gaara

Gaara

PostSubject: Re: Stealth attacks. (dodging what you don't know is coming)   Stealth attacks. (dodging what you don't know is coming) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2013 10:53 pm

I dont like that it would still do damage, but I do agree that it should give a benefit to hit. I remember when sneak attacking didnt give bonus damage, but gave bonus +2(Or 3) to hit. That makes sense to me. A bonus to hit i'd agree with, not auto damage even on a miss.
Back to top Go down
kaindelvin

PostSubject: Re: Stealth attacks. (dodging what you don't know is coming)   Stealth attacks. (dodging what you don't know is coming) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2013 11:31 pm

i could go with gaara. cause even sneak attacks in DnD(which is where the idea of sneak attacks even came from) isnt an auto hit. just easier to hit with bonus dmg. So like, a +2 to hit with a +1d6 bonus dmg? either that, or they get a - to defend against it since they dont see it. either or.
Back to top Go down
dalerawks

PostSubject: Re: Stealth attacks. (dodging what you don't know is coming)   Stealth attacks. (dodging what you don't know is coming) Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 8:25 am

No... skills in NWN are imbalanced and broken. IF this were NWN2 I'd agree with you... but as it stands, its much easier for somebody to outclass a person with Hide/Mv. Si. than it is for anyone to have a reasonable Spot/Listen. Then to go on and suggest one spend tokens to fix what is broken on the base levels of the game mechanics is sort of ludicrous in itself.

If it aint broke, dont fix it.

And Sneak Attacks as they are, are not broke.
Back to top Go down
Deidara

Deidara

PostSubject: Re: Stealth attacks. (dodging what you don't know is coming)   Stealth attacks. (dodging what you don't know is coming) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 1:19 am

...I'm curious, but how exactly is it easier to get high hide+move silently than it is to get high Spot or Listen? Because you do -need- both to do stealth properly, but only one to detect somebody. That's half the feat investment (Alertness+Skill Focus (Spot/Listen)+Epic Skill Focus (Spot/Listen) as opposed to Stealthy, Skill Focus (Hide/Move Silently), Epic Skill Focus (Hide/Move Silently)). Also, Elf as a base race gives you +2 to the detection skills and the level 1-only feet Blooded gives you +2 to Spot rolls. Unless I'm missing something it should actually be -easier- to spec for detection.

Back on-topic.

I don't get why sneak attacks were changed from bonus to-hit to bonus to damage. I don't think that wasting one turn for +2 next turn is overpowered, especially when there are limited uses of your ability to "charge up" your next attack. That said, you have to understand that this is -not- a "hardcore" server. Things play on drama and the rule of cool, that's why the actual rules are fast and loose (basically boiling down to opposed d20 rolls since there are caps on everything that everyone will reach).

Now, what would you as a player rather experience? "Oh, I failed a skill roll, so now I have no counterplay to my opponent's next action." or "Oh, I failed a skill roll. My opponent has an advantage I can get over based on luck or strategy." We aren't trying to be simulationists, we're trying to be a shounen anime.
Back to top Go down
X-Hero

PostSubject: Re: Stealth attacks. (dodging what you don't know is coming)   Stealth attacks. (dodging what you don't know is coming) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 1:43 am

Realistically, there's always that 'sixth sense'. It actually -does- happen fairly often, especially when you're trained to react, if you want a comparison, think of any genuine situation where, somehow, you had a feeling something/one was watching you, and in that instance turned out to be right and avoided getting the crap scared out of you. It happens. You're not as likely, sure (hence a bonus to hit) but that sense is still there (hence the dodge chance).

Hope that helps, though I sense more arguing, really.

~~Random X
Back to top Go down
Chiyo

Chiyo

PostSubject: Re: Stealth attacks. (dodging what you don't know is coming)   Stealth attacks. (dodging what you don't know is coming) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 2:05 pm

Nuuu argueing, debates only plz. And keep it civil. I likes what is going on here too though. So far good suggestions:

Neji) Instant dmg on successful sneaks / set traps possibly, on fail 1/2 dmg dealt only.
- I like it though what about effects like stuns? It is abit difficult to handle those kinda effects into instant hits which will offer stunlocks to a degree. Ummm... I was curious about genjutsu tho being added as another means of "using without revealing yourself" tho likely x 1 per hide.

Diedra) + 2 to a successful Sneak was used, and certainly doable again too. I likes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stealth attacks. (dodging what you don't know is coming)   Stealth attacks. (dodging what you don't know is coming) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stealth attacks. (dodging what you don't know is coming)
Page 1 of 1