NarutoVerse 2.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a Neverwinter Nights server based on the Naruto Universe.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

So how about..

Go down 
+8
dalerawks
Aquarius
kaindelvin
Deidara
Amaterasu
Kuroneko
Kamarile
KishuSenki
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Kamarile

Kamarile

So how about.. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: So how about..   So how about.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 12:53 pm

Hyuuga Neji wrote:
I disagree with aquarius

But on what?
Back to top Go down
Hyuuga Neji

Hyuuga Neji

PostSubject: Re: So how about..   So how about.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 12:56 pm

Elyssa wrote:
Hyuuga Neji wrote:
I disagree with aquarius

But on what?

*sigh* ... I suppose I should explain that in more detail.

What you're asking for simply amounts to more busy work for the players and more importantly DMs. it just means the players need to spend more of their time writing of long winded explanations that could really just be assumed and that DMs have to spend that much more time on private little events rather than catering to the server at large or actually playing their own characters. I don't know about anyone else, but I wrote up a rather long RP post about acquiring my gauntlets, that being said I did it because I wanted to, and I wanted to link it back to previous server lore that I had established with Takeshi. It's not something that everyone should be -forced- to do just to stay competitive.

RP tokens = past RP and proof that someone deserves something... now all the base clans and stuff are pretty fair I think, and the DMs are continually working to update and balance them.

and as far as branching into custom things.. that's -all- at the DM's discretion they have the final say what a player's character can and cannot do beyond the normally allowed rule set. So in the end I think we should just let them do their jobs and determine who has earned what.
Back to top Go down
Aquarius

Aquarius

PostSubject: Re: So how about..   So how about.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 1:06 pm

Aside from items though, I haven't really seen much RP on how someone's obtained something.. A taijutsuist (like rin, for example) shouldn't just overnight be as good at casting ninjutsu as say, Arashi Satsume. It doesn't make any sense, when he's based his character on it... and then someone else can just instantly be JUST as good (if not better in some cases) just because they have the tokens to do it. I approve of being able to have multiple focuses, as several people did in the anime... but being able to do it overnight? I'm sorry, but that doesn't even make sense.
Back to top Go down
Hyuuga Neji

Hyuuga Neji

PostSubject: Re: So how about..   So how about.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 4:34 pm

But aquarius... when do you see people doing that? who's going to save up their tokens -that- much that they could instantly become as good as someone like Satsume in ninjutsu out of absolute nowhere? especially since satsume will theoretically be investing in his own focus to some degree and progressing past that benchmark.
Back to top Go down
Kamarile

Kamarile

PostSubject: Re: So how about..   So how about.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 2:37 pm

So as an update to this I see a huge number of characters now have [x] cannot use [x] which presumably gains them benefits elsewhere?

I'm hoping someone can explain how this system works because it seems like someone could abuse this by going:

Ok my pure Kenjutsuist can only use Kenjutsu? Surely there comes a point where being able to 'sell' things makes having more than one focus damaging to the characters real strength.

I.E I can see a situation where being a rounded Ninja with a basic ability in most common skills penalizes you against a character that is focused in something single-minded like "Can punch really good"

If they spend all their cap on 'punching really good' and also traded off the ability to have anything else, wouldn't they clean up in DF by having all their slots affect this one thing only?

Honestly, that's my take on this. If focusing one -one- thing alone gets you large bonuses then Samurai will inherit the earth.
Back to top Go down
kaindelvin

PostSubject: Re: So how about..   So how about.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 3:18 pm

losing the ability to use anything but ~one~ jutsu type(which i assume is aimed at my pending npc + mizuki, as the only 2 chars i can think of that really are single focus) is really damaging to someone. Guess what, if that person is solely kenjutsu focused gasp you can use one of the millions of 'disarm' jutsu's out there to completly make them useless. If there just genjutsu, hyuuga + uchiiha will walk all over them. If there ~just~ ninjutsu, cp damage people will completly pub stomp them.

Focusing on just one point of combat, and ignoring the others, does give you huge bonuses to that one. But if your opponent thinks for 2 seconds and does what your weak against, your screwed. Now, if your sitting there playing straight into there strengths, you deserve to lose i mean they paid everything for that one thing that your trying to match, instead of using your versatility to greatest effect.
Back to top Go down
Kamarile

Kamarile

PostSubject: Re: So how about..   So how about.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 3:30 pm

kaindelvin wrote:
losing the ability to use anything but ~one~ jutsu type(which i assume is aimed at my pending npc + mizuki, as the only 2 chars i can think of that really are single focus) is really damaging to someone. Guess what, if that person is solely kenjutsu focused gasp you can use one of the millions of 'disarm' jutsu's out there to completly make them useless. If there just genjutsu, hyuuga + uchiiha will walk all over them. If there ~just~ ninjutsu, cp damage people will completly pub stomp them.

Focusing on just one point of combat, and ignoring the others, does give you huge bonuses to that one. But if your opponent thinks for 2 seconds and does what your weak against, your screwed. Now, if your sitting there playing straight into there strengths, you deserve to lose i mean they paid everything for that one thing that your trying to match, instead of using your versatility to greatest effect.

The point is should you become the -ultimate- in something solely because you can't do anything else? Does knowing a bit about Taijutsu utterly rule out your being the best Genjutsuist on the server?

The reason i'm drawing attention to these 'drawbacks' is the fact most people didn't choose to become hybrid, the templates that exist are largely for characters that can do at least 2 things and that's the baseline for more or less every clan posted.

You're right in part that it's all about niches but i'd rather see someone be allowed to choose one specialization to max out in, rather than unknowingly spend cap because they forgot to sell off their (often moot) ability to use a Jutsu type. (Example being alot of chars without the free stats or mods to use it selling off that jutsu type)

It's important to me that the ability to mix in a few punches, or use a different colored attack doesn't eat into the cap too much because otherwise you have to sell stuff to stay competitive.
Back to top Go down
kaindelvin

PostSubject: Re: So how about..   So how about.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 4:40 pm

what are you even talking about now. you completly disregarded everything i said in my post. No, you cant be the uberfantasmastic genjutsu'ist ever while still putting abilities towards ninjutsu/tai/ken, when that person over there put all 600 into genjutsu. sorry. BUT, that doesnt mean your weaker. I'd take a dual focus over a single focus any day. And it shows in that boushi is now branching into taijutsu, and same with junsei before i refunded him. Versatility > 1 trick pony, no matter how big that pony is.
Back to top Go down
Kamarile

Kamarile

PostSubject: Re: So how about..   So how about.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 5:13 pm

kaindelvin wrote:
what are you even talking about now. you completly disregarded everything i said in my post. No, you cant be the uberfantasmastic genjutsu'ist ever while still putting abilities towards ninjutsu/tai/ken, when that person over there put all 600 into genjutsu. sorry. BUT, that doesnt mean your weaker. I'd take a dual focus over a single focus any day. And it shows in that boushi is now branching into taijutsu, and same with junsei before i refunded him. Versatility > 1 trick pony, no matter how big that pony is.

Somehow the choice between being really good at my chosen focus and being a viable character seems to suck all the fun out of building.

What are the limits (for you) where specializing is just sucking the fun and variety out?

1 'thing', like Kenjutsu? Wouldn't they lose to characters that focused on 1 single technique?

What are the standards where specializing just should no longer pay off? Because i'll be annoyed as hell if I have to play 'The clan with 1000 skills' mono-stat but -I will do it-

Although that just leads into being a hybrid even more because I didn't sell off my elemental affinities.
Back to top Go down
Chiyo

Chiyo

PostSubject: Re: So how about..   So how about.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 10:59 pm

I actually like the idea,and would like to ask everyones cooperation in testing it out as well. It will basically sub the "element / rank up" instead as a ninja focus per jutsu type we have (and we have -MANY-) almost done. But should be fun! ^_^

Genin: Select 2 Starting Ninja Focus
Chunin: + 1 Ninja Focus
Jounin: + 1 Ninja Focus

So people can ninja focus: medical + Gen
chunin: + fire
jounin: + kenjutsu or w/e.

The basics: elementless nin, gen, tai, ken are auto accessible but up to c-rank. need to have ninja focus in it to learn jutsu of b-rank +. Rules will state such but something to look forward to!
Back to top Go down
Kamarile

Kamarile

PostSubject: Re: So how about..   So how about.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 11:20 pm

As for elements I wish multiple elements were more useful. I have this idea that someone that just takes Wind and runs with it could probably be the best ninjutsu user since they don't pay for anything else.

It's really versatile RP wise, even if it's not flashy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So how about..   So how about.. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So how about..
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NarutoVerse 2.0 :: Out Of Character :: Suggestions/Concerns-
Jump to: