NarutoVerse 2.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a Neverwinter Nights server based on the Naruto Universe.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Sturdy Mind Trait

Go down 
+2
Gaara
Kamarile
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kamarile

Kamarile

Sturdy Mind Trait Empty
PostSubject: Sturdy Mind Trait   Sturdy Mind Trait Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 12:20 am

Sturdy Mind -- X is able to focus his mind, and blank out all thoughts

This ability makes no sense in current form as the DF effect and the description are completely incompatible if thoughts are actually put into words.
Back to top Go down
Gaara

Gaara

Sturdy Mind Trait Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturdy Mind Trait   Sturdy Mind Trait Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 12:29 am

Not at all. It makes perfect sense. Where you find a strategist, you will find a method to have the ability to hide your thoughts. Its just like having a poker face, but for your mind.

I know, I know *Gasp* You mean I have to actually RP in order to get to know someone? Terrible I'm sure, but you'll live. Automatic (via skill) telepathy to be able read the thoughts of anyone, destroys RP. Does not create it.

Want to read someones mind via jutsu where its mental stat vs mental stat, thats fine. But thinking that anyone is just going to be okay with you being able to read the thoughts of anyone is going to kill the RP of the server because whenever you're around, people are not going to add emotion to their characters thoughts, because they are not going to want you to know

^_^

Edit -- and besides, even if you randomly were able to read all the surface thoughts of everyone around you.....her head would explode. Especially with Sensui. So whatever, take it or leave it, but I will not allow anyone to just be able to take the emotional thoughts, and or planning my character is going to do just like that. capture me, jutsu me...do something. Just being "near" me is not a valid RP reason, and its lazy.
Back to top Go down
Aquarius

Aquarius

Sturdy Mind Trait Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturdy Mind Trait   Sturdy Mind Trait Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 12:43 am

Having Yokuei, whom began this ability, the active telepathy was intended to have a sort of "on and off switch". So if they wanted, they could shut out certain people's thoughts, or open them to her. It's not an uncontrollable telepathy, it works like a valve. Secondly... if you didn't want people to read your surface thoughts... then just don't type them? Sure, it adds to RP to have surface thoughts... but having thoughts like that typed out, means that is what you're focused on thinking about, which means a telepath can access them. So basically... keep what you want hidden, hidden... and type out the thoughts you don't mind people reading. It doesn't kill roleplay, it adds to it. Don't see it like it means "I can look at your bio and discern everything about you instantly.", look at it like I mentioned above.
Back to top Go down
Gaara

Gaara

Sturdy Mind Trait Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturdy Mind Trait   Sturdy Mind Trait Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 12:47 am

I dont see how it adds to the roleplay, when from what i've seen it makes the emotional level of the character become 0. Its fun to me, to be able to type out every aspect of everything that he sees and hears...every little detail. For the "Edited" yamanaka to be able to just "turn on" their "Switch" and be like "OH HEY I KNOW THAT NOW TOO HAW HAW'' is border-line ridiculous. Even the strongest Yamanaka in the show need to ~touch~ their minds in order to get past all the security features ninja have in their minds to access the places in their mind that has all the information they want to keep hidden. They talk and communicate to eachtoher and other allies...thats already powerful enough -- To be able to read everything....has made me create my counter to it, because it ruins it for me, and I know it does for others too (Even if they wont come out and say it) I am blunt, I do not care.
Back to top Go down
Aquarius

Aquarius

Sturdy Mind Trait Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturdy Mind Trait   Sturdy Mind Trait Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 12:57 am

To be honest, I only really intended on Yokuei having the trait, considering she was a Yamanaka Prodigy (hence why she was able to do it to begin with), but I didn't mind if anyone else did it either. And you're right, they do have to touch their minds to gain access to their thoughts- and they have an S rank jutsu for that, which I still must learn in order to access your deepest thoughts. Just scraping your outside thoughts? I don't see a problem with it... And I wouldn't personally run around saying things like that, it just means I, or anyone else with the ability, can react to the thoughts if we wanted to. And yes, the ability to communicate with other people through telepathy is a good trait to have... but I was told personally by a DM that my range only reaches out to those within a room's distance around me at genin rank. Which means if you're on the other side of a river? There's no telepathy involved. If you're in the trees on the other side of the woods? I can't tell you where the enemy are to create an ambush. It's not -THAT- great at genin rank, it just allows for me to be able to reply to things that would catch my interest. Such as someone thinking insults to my character, she could reply to them... or if someone made a stupid mistake of focusing on the thoughts of something interesting, I can use that to my advantage. It's not at all how you're portraying it. You make it out to be some metagaming trait, so I can just go around and say I know whatever you do at all times, when that isn't the case. Half the time, I wouldn't care about what you're thinking in blue text.. but in case something IS there that I care about, then it becomes an interest.
Back to top Go down
Gaara

Gaara

Sturdy Mind Trait Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturdy Mind Trait   Sturdy Mind Trait Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 1:05 am

Well it may not be your intention, but it seems that's how its being used. I know you well enough aqua to know that you're responsible enough with it to not ruin the RP directly, but it is still my opinion and dislike of such abilities that makes me create counters to them when they appear.

Your ability was approved, so im not contesting the validity of it. However, my custom trait for my character was also approved, so reading the thoughts of my character on a whim will not be possible, if you've seen how I RP my character, it would honestly make sense to you.
Back to top Go down
Aquarius

Aquarius

Sturdy Mind Trait Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturdy Mind Trait   Sturdy Mind Trait Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 1:15 am

Thank you for that. :) I'm sorry if my ability was being used differently than intended, though it's as I said... if it's being used for other means than that, then it shouldn't be roleplayed. And I'm not meaning to take sides on either (Gaara or Elyssia) but if you created your ability because you don't want people abusing your thoughts... that's fine, and you're entitled to that. Though I don't expect half the server to come up with anti-telepathy, just because they don't want their thoughts being read... that's just silly.
Back to top Go down
Gaara

Gaara

Sturdy Mind Trait Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturdy Mind Trait   Sturdy Mind Trait Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 1:18 am

My trait suits my character, because he is smart and refine. Shut off from alot of the world, and lacks alot of emotions normal people have. I compare him to the "believer" from the movie "serenity" for those of you who have seen it. He sees a future, he will create that future, then not live there himself, for the plans and things he will do.

So yes, his thoughts are off limits by such simple means. If you want to read his thoughts, do so via capture + jutsu. ^_^
Back to top Go down
Kamarile

Kamarile

Sturdy Mind Trait Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturdy Mind Trait   Sturdy Mind Trait Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 8:58 am

Gaara wrote:
if you've seen how I RP my character, it would honestly make sense to you.

It's having seen the RP of your character that makes me dislike this trait. There is alot of thought emotes. Maybe i'm not used to how it's done on this server but role playing a mysterious character by making their thoughts an open book to everyone around him, while people with the IC ability respond to them are left hanging seems counter intuitive.

For example your character thought of mine as being 'a disobedient idiot that ruined his plans' so naturally I rolled for the chance to make a rebuttal, or realize that there was resentment of her because that's how a mind reader would react in almost any setting that includes them.

So having seen your RP on this one occasion and been blocked permanently via trait I found it odd you were using thoughts to (from my point of view) co-ordinate the battle by making sure players were aware of your tactical opinion without having to vocalize them or allow them to exist as ic knowledge.

On the plus side you gave me an idea for focusing on strategy and being able to use humanoid telepathy for squad co-ordination. So I did gain something.
Back to top Go down
Asuma

Asuma

Sturdy Mind Trait Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturdy Mind Trait   Sturdy Mind Trait Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 9:34 am

Aquarius wrote:
Thank you for that. Smile I'm sorry if my ability was being used differently than intended, though it's as I said... if it's being used for other means than that, then it shouldn't be roleplayed. And I'm not meaning to take sides on either (Gaara or Elyssia) but if you created your ability because you don't want people abusing your thoughts... that's fine, and you're entitled to that. Though I don't expect half the server to come up with anti-telepathy, just because they don't want their thoughts being read... that's just silly.

Telepathy only Works on other Yamanaka until lvl 35 where its opened to other Humans ... Why is their Argument <_<; ... It takes the S-rank Jutsu and the target held for interrogation for a Yamanak to invade the opponents mind unless the player permits the player to read their mind.

Says so on the Clan. So honestly the ability she has has conflict with the standardized Yamanaka Clan Telepathy Scaling ability. Which should likely get clarified.
Back to top Go down
Kamarile

Kamarile

Sturdy Mind Trait Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturdy Mind Trait   Sturdy Mind Trait Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 9:47 am

Asuma wrote:

Says so on the Clan. So honestly the ability she has has conflict with the standardized Yamanaka Clan Telepathy Scaling ability. Which should likely get clarified.

Which would be relevant if Yamanaka clan was 200 tokens. It's a fun RP ability but if people flatter themselves that their internal angst is worth [spending tokens] to protect I am fine with it. To be balanced with other free traits it should a bonus to the resistance roll.

It's like a trait to autosucceed spot when being eavesdropped outside of battle, in my opinion.

Quote :
“Wary Shadow”- Though your days are spent in the dark corners of the world, you’re character has still developed a near paranoia that keeps them constantly aware of their surroundings, This character earns a +10 to spot/listen rolls out of combat, allowing them to find tricky traps or those hiding around him!

The equivalent ability for eavesdropping
Back to top Go down
Asuma

Asuma

Sturdy Mind Trait Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturdy Mind Trait   Sturdy Mind Trait Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 10:09 am

Elyssa wrote:
Asuma wrote:

Which would be relevant if Yamanaka clan was 200 tokens. It's a fun RP ability but if people flatter themselves that their internal angst is worth [spending tokens] to protect I am fine with it. To be balanced with other free traits it should a bonus to the resistance roll.

How about we Approach this a Step at a Time ^_^ to save the Staff to much trouble. If they deem it needing to be fixed.

First Step.) Get Clarification of your Current Abilities as a Yamanaka. Due to the Conflicting of Scaling Charts and Additional Ability for the Concentration Roll.

Second Step.) Request the Trait be reviewed.

My Opinion though is that these Traits aren't to Effect Dice Fight though and this Trait means to completely void out an S-rank Jutsu of a Clan focused on Telepathy. Which shouldn't be allowed. And suggest maybe a removal or different approach behind it.
Back to top Go down
Gaara

Gaara

Sturdy Mind Trait Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturdy Mind Trait   Sturdy Mind Trait Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 10:51 am

Not at all, if you noticed, I RPed the thoughts (To add emotion and depth to the battle, instead of) *rolls to attack -- either A. makes it or B. doesnt.* A--Yeah take that! B -- Aww shoot, maybe next time...*

If you were paying attention, my character ~spoke~ when he had a strategy that he wished to alter and or change, and he was relaying it to and from everyone with Kiri Hyuuga.

You seem to be the only person who is upset at the character I am playing, becasue from everyone else in that battle and outside of that battle, I have gotten nothing but compliments for RPing an actual strategist, who does not partake in many battles, but instead helps flesh them out. (That was my first dice fight, since creation of that character)

Like I said, I will pay however much I have too in order to make myself immune to telepathy, because to me it will always and forever be a lazy way for someone to gain information, when there are much more creative ways to go about it.

Regardless, as I've said. Both abilities have gone through and past the DM's so they're staying around. Nothing to be done about it on either end, so really this debate is over (and should have never started) So i'll stop posting about it starting........

Now!! =D
Back to top Go down
Asuma

Asuma

Sturdy Mind Trait Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturdy Mind Trait   Sturdy Mind Trait Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 12:10 pm

DMs Hold the Right to revise and change the previously approved aspects of an individual to ensure balance amongst the player base. If you are to be getting mad or upset about a few comments about having immunity to an aspect of a players ability then your seeking to much for your character. It would be like me asking for Immunity to Inton as my Light of the Hojo is to pure to be tainted but such darkness :< ... That isn't going to happen because A... OP as fudge on Ice Cream ...

This is a discussion so try and maintain that attitude as it being one.

Now being a Strategist is awesome RP, I know I use to play a Nara which I loved. But Traits should remain RP based powers and not reflect on the effects of anothers actually baught powers. Doesn't matter if you wish to spend as much Tokens as possible to buy a trait to gain -immunity- to telepathy. That is asking for you to be above the rest of the players and above the rules and guidelines. Now I have nothing against your character but Immunity is not something that should be permitted. Example Uchiha, Hyuuga, Kaguya do not have immunity. They have -ABILITIES- (Not Traits) that negate the effects of Jutsu/Binds/Etc to gain a 'pseudo-immunity' .

This isn't a Strike against you nor should you take it as such it is about that 'immunity' bit which your demanding. Which I believe shouldn't be acceptable. Strategist aren't immune to Mind Assualts. Just harder to decipher. So work with that. Coded Words. Build RP to it... Where your thoughts turn into some sort of Binary that you have a tendancy to write down in this code as well. Leaving you capable of deciphering through close relations with you. Hearing your strategies spoken and stealing your notebook of the Strategies to decipher. But not Flat out Immunity. That leaves for no RP and a sour taste in peoples mouths..

But As I said Earlier Alessia also needs to get clarification that shes capable of reading the Minds of People before lvl 35 since the ability is also following the Yamanaka Telepathy Scaling Chart.
Back to top Go down
Kamarile

Kamarile

Sturdy Mind Trait Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturdy Mind Trait   Sturdy Mind Trait Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 12:23 pm

Asuma wrote:

But As I said Earlier Alessia also needs to get clarification that shes capable of reading the Minds of People before lvl 35 since the ability is also following the Yamanaka Telepathy Scaling Chart.

2 DM characters have been happy to go along with it. Some DM characters don't use blue thoughts, and I respect that.

People have the right to the aforementioned 'trait', but the effect should be 'Character is under no expectation of using thought emotes' or it should be a roll bonus as the effect is essentially 'eavesdropping' based.

My ability is seen as something 'super exotic' to be restricted, but canon powers like the Hyuuga eyes allow looking at hitpoints and cp with no defense I know of. (While activated) Much less a trait.

My Mind Reading is a three stage proccess:

1. You do a thought emote
2. If I care enough I will roll
3. You get a counter roll

You'll notice that one gives players a sovereign and inalienable -immunity- to mind reading in and of itself, and I am fine with that. I wouldn't wish to intrude and read thoughts unless it was appropriate but the counter proposal that players have a sovereign right to type things publicly without them ever being overheard I counter using the 'eavesdropping' as a comparison. The above three steps also prove that the ability is not 'automatic', but triggered and subject to an appropriate counter roll. Your trait (as written) is not applicable.

You get a roll against both eavesdropping and mind reading. So what is the problem?

If you want to fairly counter my ability then counter the whole ability. "Mind Reading" is not an effect on its own, its an RP power and the full justification for my character's skill with Genjutsu and Clan Jutsu affecting the mind.

So if you want to counter it fairly? You have to buy slots giving you defense against these types of attack equivalent to my bonuses. I realize that will suck compared to your Uchiha power of 'pay cp immunity' but I bought stats to represent this. It's not a traited freebie.

This completely leaves out non lazy RP defenses. Like finding out my character has the ability and refusing to have her anywhere near you because of it. Which I will of course counter IC as you being a terrible racist to get sympathy.

This battle should be fought with -roleplay-. It's sad that i'm having to fight an out of character battle to have my RP countered icly.

From my perspective this is like a character that talks to themselves wanting an immunity to being heard. Which is a trait to think. You're essentially training to push your thought emotes one step higher than thinking.

Which is not to form them as verbal thoughts with a verbal meaning. Maybe you could type your thought emotes in morse code?
Back to top Go down
Aquarius

Aquarius

Sturdy Mind Trait Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturdy Mind Trait   Sturdy Mind Trait Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 12:42 pm

Elyssia wrote:
Passively : (In addition to standard clan Telepathy) may choose to read the thoughts of those around her. Preformed as a Concentration vs. Hide check.

She bought a custom yamanaka based completely off of my already approved Yamanaka Prodigy ability, on Yokuei. It does not follow the original rules of the Yamanaka clan, it's a 200 token ability, Asuma. :)
Back to top Go down
Kamarile

Kamarile

Sturdy Mind Trait Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturdy Mind Trait   Sturdy Mind Trait Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 12:55 pm

Correct. When I submitted it it was altered to a form that allowed a counter roll

I don't think I need to add how disappointed I was that someone had a trait to counter me approved before i'd even met them in-game.
Back to top Go down
Gaara

Gaara

Sturdy Mind Trait Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturdy Mind Trait   Sturdy Mind Trait Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 2:56 pm

Probably about the same amount of disappointment I felt when I saw the ability existed at all.

/shrug

its done and over with, there are many ways I will ICly take care of it if my trait gets reworked. I'll get my whole mind sealed by some forbidden jutsu if I have too, having mind readers is against everything ~I~ stand for. If you like it, thats fantastic, but I wont be interacting with characters that have it unless I can block it out. So take it or leave it ^_^
Back to top Go down
Kamarile

Kamarile

Sturdy Mind Trait Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturdy Mind Trait   Sturdy Mind Trait Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 3:10 pm

Gaara wrote:
unless I can block it out.

Type in a code or foreign language and I won't be able to understand it.

I feel like what you want to do, type screeds and screeds of info that can't be used without metagaming is borderline trolling.
Back to top Go down
Gaara

Gaara

Sturdy Mind Trait Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturdy Mind Trait   Sturdy Mind Trait Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 3:18 pm

=/ You seem to be the only one that thinks that, because I have gotten countless tells saying they love my character, and how interesting he is.
Back to top Go down
Epitaph191

Epitaph191

Sturdy Mind Trait Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturdy Mind Trait   Sturdy Mind Trait Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 4:28 pm

Another easy solution to this predicament would be to use OOC markings to denote completely internal thoughts. Some players (myself included) enjoy role playing their characters complete experience. It adds another level of depth to the character and also gives another form of roleplay that can be rewarded by DMs. If someone is offended or bothered by the way you role play or visa versa, and they or you request politely that its stopped, then you should their request. In this instance, being the bigger person and ignoring Gaara's mental role play wouldn't affect yuur own character much.

Just some friendly advice and input from a long time friend of the server Smile
Back to top Go down
KishuSenki

KishuSenki

Sturdy Mind Trait Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturdy Mind Trait   Sturdy Mind Trait Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 7:30 pm

Gaara wrote:
=/ You seem to be the only one that thinks that, because I have gotten countless tells saying they love my character, and how interesting he is.

But he is no Shuten.
Back to top Go down
Gaara

Gaara

Sturdy Mind Trait Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturdy Mind Trait   Sturdy Mind Trait Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 7:58 pm

KishuSenki wrote:
Gaara wrote:

But he is no Shuten.

True, shuten was fun too....but totally in a different way haha
Back to top Go down
Gaara

Gaara

Sturdy Mind Trait Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturdy Mind Trait   Sturdy Mind Trait Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 8:03 pm

Epitaph191 wrote:
Another easy solution to this predicament would be to use OOC markings to denote completely internal thoughts. Some players (myself included) enjoy role playing their characters complete experience. It adds another level of depth to the character and also gives another form of roleplay that can be rewarded by DMs. If someone is offended or bothered by the way you role play or visa versa, and they or you request politely that its stopped, then you should their request. In this instance, being the bigger person and ignoring Gaara's mental role play wouldn't affect yuur own character much.

Just some friendly advice and input from a long time friend of the server Smile

Thats exactly what I'm doing. I use these to express the thoughts he is having to add depth and detail to the world around him instead of generic things, makes it boring. I go like this. oO(These are my internal thoughts)Oo
Back to top Go down
Asuma

Asuma

Sturdy Mind Trait Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturdy Mind Trait   Sturdy Mind Trait Icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 2:38 pm

Aquarius wrote:
Elyssia wrote:
Passively : (In addition to standard clan Telepathy) may choose to read the thoughts of those around her. Preformed as a Concentration vs. Hide check.

She bought a custom yamanaka based completely off of my already approved Yamanaka Prodigy ability, on Yokuei. It does not follow the original rules of the Yamanaka clan, it's a 200 token ability, Asuma. Smile

Im aware. Look to the Standarized Telepathic Ability. It has a Scaling of whom they can read from through telepathy.

yamanaka -> Animals -> Humans.

The Conflict in the ability is that it says the Standard Clan Telepathy. May choose to read the thoughts of those around her meaning she can read but because of the standard scaling from the clans telepathy it would only apply to those of the standard scaling. Hence why I suggested getting these fact verified with the staff.

But again Gaara we aren't attacking you, and please don't take it as such. We're just expressing our concerns on a topic, and you just so happen to have that ability that concerns a few players.

Though I stand by my suggestion of making it extremely hard to gain information from your thoughts that requires more then immediate situational RP. That is just an open closed case of RP leaving no room for further indepth RP. Don't you agree?

I mean Example of the Binary Coded Mind suggestion .. Your thoughts match the code in your book though only seeing certain words and such In thoughts these words seem to be as if a different language to those reading your mind. In your book which they would have to In-game RPly steal to be able to gather the information.

But that's just a suggestion and how I feel would be better suited to you not wanting to be able to be read out of the blue(lol irony) then to having complete utter immunity to someones RP ability that is infact the entire basis of the Yamanaka Clan.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sturdy Mind Trait Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturdy Mind Trait   Sturdy Mind Trait Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sturdy Mind Trait
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next