NarutoVerse 2.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a Neverwinter Nights server based on the Naruto Universe.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up?

Go down 
+4
Chiyo
Admin Tsunade
Saru
T-DM Kisame
8 posters
AuthorMessage
T-DM Kisame

T-DM Kisame

Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up? Empty
PostSubject: Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up?   Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 12:16 pm

As much as I enjoy RPing, Ive been doing this for 11 almost 12 years... and the days of leaving everything up to human whim and my patience have dissipated. Most games have rules on ranking up and set requirements you must meet before you -can- rank up. The days of "DM Permission for Everything" need to get gone and need to be limited to things like...

Sage, Custom Stuff, Rare Bloodlines, Personal Requests, Issues, Building, and Faction Forming.

Ranking up should not be easy, but it should definitely be spelled out clear as crystal and with ways of doing so easier or harder, depending on your RP skill and stuff.

Example of what im talking about.

Chuunin
Jutsu Required: 8 D-Ranks [Outside of the Starter Ones you get], 8 C-Ranks, 4 B-Ranks
Level Required: 25
Mission/Test?: Jounin or DM runs a test for promotion.
Rewards: Second Element, Third Slot, Second Trait
New Level Cap: 30

Leveling? It should be clear and set out too...

Levels 16-20: 5 Tokens Each
Levels 21-30: 10 Tokens Each
Levels 31-39: 15 Tokens Each
Level 40: 20 Tokens
------------------
Grand Total of: 250 Tokens to hit Level 40
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up?   Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 1:04 pm

Yeah... I don't like this idea. Anyone with a bag full of tokens can become a Jounin? Or by making a normal non-clan or non-bloodline character could use their free starter tokens to hit almost Jounin?

I don't like this idea, sorry Shiro. Rank ups should be awarded by RP and even though someone has "RP tokens" doesn't mean their RP warrants a rank up. You get tokens for participating in events and forum rp reguardless of how you act or what you do, doesn't mean your RP and character's behavior warrant a rank up or being a Jounin with the included responsibilities.
Back to top Go down
T-DM Kisame

T-DM Kisame

PostSubject: Re: Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up?   Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 1:59 pm

Its not that simple, but shooting it down completely isnt excusable either. There -needs- to be a concise guideline and to make sure people rank up or progress. I know that I -hate- sitting around the server, hoping to see a RP token for my RP... seeing none, by the way. I see more tokens from posting on the forums than IG. I see little happen from my interactions ingame in general.

I want to see some method of progress or tangible reward, even if it isnt ranking up and it's just leveling up... Id like to see that, because honestly. Sitting around, gathering tokens to max-stat a genin and then wait 4-5 months for chuunin... which is a common rank in the anime'... yeah, I can find more enjoyment out of a forum RP guild on Gaia or some-place else were my actions matter, everything I do progresses my character's growth, and I rank up in a timely manner if I put forth the effort and RP... it's all recorded on the forums, so really there's no debate.

In this game... nothing is recorded, and it's all based on weather or not the DM staff likes you or sees you on at the right time. There needs to be something more to offset the human element and decisiveness and it needs to be more standard and robotic. At least with chuunin.
Back to top Go down
Saru

PostSubject: Re: Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up?   Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 2:15 pm

Shiro has a point.

Maybe level the ninjas according to what missions they have done.

Like maybe each B-rank grants one level, or two B-ranks grants a level. Find a new system like this, cause this needs to work on a way which it is documented, and not just randomly given when the dms feel like it, cause some might think that other individuals might be favorized.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up?   Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 2:18 pm

Well I've taken over the responsibilties of the forums and I've spoken with the staff about making tokens for the "Dunge Onmaster" I log into the server as. I will likely continue to roll out tokens for all activity I see on the forums because yes I agree you should be paid for the effort you're putting into your character but no I don't think a player should be able to "buy into" a rank. It speaks too much into elements I hate in games like Diablo 3's auction house where you can use real money for things to use in the game and be lazy without going out and putting the effort into getting the item yourself. Or going to countless sites and buying gold for World of Warcraft. Its cheap and undercuts the value of the game.

As I've said in the past, if you want to rank up? Earn it. Kirito went from a stumbling idiot that I rolled his Klutz trait on almost every five minutes, to an able Chunin, and now a seasoned Jounin after the war and its following events. Its called character growth and though yes it can be easily seen on the forums its called being active and letting the DMs see your character growth IG in events too.

The server is just getting back into full swing after a major lose including the lose of our old server, which was much better than the one we're on now but I'm trying to improve, to also the lose of the player vault due to a Host who pulled the plug and didn't care to give us back what we put into things. So for some of us you're coming into a reboot and a do-over and you've only been on the server again for a few days.

I suggest playing on it first for a few more weeks before you go and say things like your RP for advancement is being ignored. That aside I do not like the "buy into" rank idea. I've got enough tokens in my bag to make a Chunin but I'd much rather earn it in RP and by playing him than buy him its more fun that way.

Also? Do what I did with Kirito I made a log of his missions and events in his bio, though I got side tracked and stopped at one point if you can show the entire staff (which the Kage of your village would have the same reports) "Look I've been on X amount of missions, I've done X, I've saved X, and I've acomplished X. Don't you think I deserve some recognition?" I'm sure you'll get the rank up you want.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up?   Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 2:25 pm

Oh and side note... I have been on missions where the reward was tokens AND a level.. just keep that in mind too. Like I said there is progression here.
Back to top Go down
Admin Tsunade

Admin Tsunade

PostSubject: Re: Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up?   Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 2:31 pm

I also dislike the idea of buying into ranks. However, I do think we should hold Chunin exams every few months or something. I know they hold them Twice per year in canon, so.. they should be decently frequent enough.

Jounin is something else entirely lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up?   Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 2:38 pm

Well Hidan just got him a staff going and hes trying to get people active on the forums and the server. So like I said things are just getting back into full swing from what I can see behind the curtain.
Back to top Go down
T-DM Kisame

T-DM Kisame

PostSubject: Re: Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up?   Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 3:23 pm

You guys are missing the point. I dont care about the tokens.

I just want static guidelines and requirements for advancement so I know when I should ask as a character for such promotion.
Back to top Go down
Chiyo

Chiyo

PostSubject: Re: Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up?   Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Dale, you just got back? I understand for need for guidelines, and they are working on it for sure. I just dunno about token use solving that issue, all that says is quantity > quality. Money talks. It isnt about how active you are, just so long as you are there for the events to rank up. That logic sound to you or anyone else?

A solution I am sure is in the works, but I do not think that is it. Granted you just got back, I think its safe to say you arent up for a promotion anytime soon.

Back to top Go down
FrEaKsHoW

FrEaKsHoW

PostSubject: Re: Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up?   Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 5:40 pm

I think most of you are missing the point of what he is saying tbh. The focus isn't meant to be on the quick example he gave but instead on the point of "When should I concider myself strong enough to ask for or apply for a premotion event."

I do disagree with the example given, but yeh that isn't what dale is talking about here. I agree that there should be a "line" that players should aim for to gain promotions BUT with good/great/omgshimcryingwithemotion RP they can achieve the higher ranks quicker. But that being said not everyone is an amazing RPer (not saying anyone is bad, but there are one or two stand out people who always RP the extra mile) so for these people who don't get selected as a stand out RPer who deserves a promotion there should be a "line" to aim for.

As dale suggested.. A set level, with so many jutsu learnt and then passing some sort of test event/mission to earn the promotion.

I personally have never been a fan of Chunnin exams on these servers. They always end up taking like 8-9 hours... they are always messsy.. they are always dominated by the people with the "strong bloodlines".. and DM's who participate on their chars tend to auto pass cos other DM's dont want to say you didn't RP well enough(which I have done myself tbh) I much prefer the idea of intimate tests or perhaps exams for each individual village rather then a whole server at once, easier to manage... Can be done when characters are ready for them... And repeated soon after if they fail... It's just nicer.

But yeh thats my responce to the orignal post ^,^ with some extra stuff thrown in :p
Back to top Go down
autokilla

PostSubject: Re: Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up?   Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 6:53 pm

A chunnin exam doesn't only rank you up for being strong and beating others, you could be out in the first part of the exam and still be made a chunnin. it all depends on how you act in the exam. you may not be that strong, but your a natural leader and that may call for a rank up right there. or for various other reasons
Back to top Go down
Admin Hidan

Admin Hidan

PostSubject: Re: Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up?   Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 8:06 pm

As Auto said to pass a Chuunin exam you dont need to win, you just need to play smart and to your characters strengths
Back to top Go down
FrEaKsHoW

FrEaKsHoW

PostSubject: Re: Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up?   Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 10:17 pm

That is what I said... :p
Back to top Go down
autokilla

PostSubject: Re: Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up?   Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 11:47 pm

you said they are always dominated by people with strong bloodlines? was only saying that you dont need a strong bloodline to win, some of the strongest bloodline chars may even have a big chance to fail. it all depends on how they go about doing things
Back to top Go down
T-DM Kisame

T-DM Kisame

PostSubject: Re: Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up?   Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 9:00 am

You guys are off-topic.

Clear and simple. We need guidelines of what we need for promotions. not "Oh, you've been around 6 months, sorry we made you sit at level 15 forever. Here."
Back to top Go down
Admin Hidan

Admin Hidan

PostSubject: Re: Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up?   Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 9:30 am

Well levels can be gained via dm events...if your good enough, so that contributed towards leveling, i will -never- make people pay for levels as i strongly dislike the idea.
Back to top Go down
Admin Tsunade

Admin Tsunade

PostSubject: Re: Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up?   Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 9:34 am

On the topic at hand, I agree with Hidan about the levels. I also agree however, that a base guideline should be set for when to apply for Chuunin.
Back to top Go down
FrEaKsHoW

FrEaKsHoW

PostSubject: Re: Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up?   Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 9:55 am

FrEaKsHoW wrote:
I agree that there should be a "line" that players should aim for to gain promotions BUT with good/great/omgshimcryingwithemotion RP they can achieve the higher ranks quicker. But that being said not everyone is an amazing RPer (not saying anyone is bad, but there are one or two stand out people who always RP the extra mile) so for these people who don't get selected as a stand out RPer who deserves a promotion there should be a "line" to aim for.
You can't focus on one sentence out of a whole post :p And that is why it went off topic :p That second part of my post was simply saying that Chunnin exams really ain't that great here for several reasons :p I've run two myself and bene in most the others and know that they really aint the best way to judge someones RP ability/Promotion readiness :p This post is about discussing the "point of promotion" and as such the format in which we are promoted ie Chunnin exams is very much on topic.

To sum up my previous post, I agree we could use a "ok it's been long enough despite you not being a DM/ground breaking RPer if you hit this you'll be promoted via a private event" line. And I think we need to move past the cannon Chunnin exams, we have tried them many many many times here and they really don't work too well apart from the 1 v 1 bit at the end because it's easy to manage. And RPly with 2 of the 5 villages being owned by baddies I don't think the world would run such an event. We at war man.
Back to top Go down
kaindelvin

PostSubject: Re: Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up?   Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 1:39 pm

ok addressing a few things people have brought up:

A: The chuunin exams on this server haven't been cannon. They have been events that people got field promotions cause we were/are at war. don't judge what this server has done based on past ones.

B: Unless the jutsu learning system is changed, i will never agree that a certain amount of jutsu known should be part of the requirements. It's waaaaaaay to easy to learn.

C: DM characters have actually been denied chuunin before, not because they didn't deserve it, but because they were a DM and the chuunin advancement should go to players who spent most of there time player-side.

D: I agree there should be some sort of standard, but what that is hasn't been suggested yet. Paying for it and # of jutsu's should definitely never be part of the equation.

E: As to what that standard should be. . . IDK. But, it definitely should not be the easy way out. brainstorm, don't fight. Love, don't hate. Yada yada yada, lets go!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up?   Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Concise Guidelines on Ranking Up?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NarutoVerse 2.0 :: Out Of Character :: Suggestions/Concerns-
Jump to: